FARM businesses can access funded training places for gaining HGV licences.

The scheme is part of the government’s extended skills bootcamp scheme and will now offer 1,300 majority-funded places for training HGV drivers to work in agriculture.

See also: Broiler numbers drop again in March

The farming and agricultural sector was among the worst hit during the HGV driver shortage crisis.

Last year, NFU president Minette Batters said more action was needed to mitigate “the crippling labour shortages and structural issues that have existed throughout the food supply chain for many months”.

The training is delivered through the Driver Academy Group (DAG), a consortium led by HGV training specialist HGVC along with workforce solutions group Manpower and trade body Logistics UK.

Part funded

The scheme applies to England only and offers flexible 16-week training courses.

The government will fund 70% of the total cost of HGV driver training through the Skills Bootcamps scheme. Employers fund the remaining 30% of the course cost.

HGVC’s courses primarily focus on novice training, helping would-be drivers gain their Category C (rigid lorry) licence, a Category C+E (articulated lorry) licence or helping those with a Category C licence upgrade to a Category C + E.


James Clifford, chief executive of HGVC, said: “While the immediate HGV driver shortage has passed, many agricultural firms still need more drivers to ensure the smooth running of their supply chains.

“For employers re-considering training budgets, this is a huge opportunity to train up new drivers or existing staff.

“While the economy continues to face some major challenges, this scheme really is a lifeline for the agricultural industry and keeping its supply chains moving.”

Find out more at