Bird Bros eggs- Which came first: the chicken or the Birds?
Founded by 1969 by twin brothers, Peter & Carl, Bird Bros now produce, pack and distribute 4 million fresh eggs each week to the leading retailers & foodservice suppliers throughout the UK.
Operating from a modern and industry leading Packing facility based in North Bedfordshire, a vacancy has become available in our company as;
Production & Operations Manager
We now seek an experienced hands-on individual for the position of our Production & Operations Manager, to help drive the company forward in the next stage of its business development. We are a growing family-owned company with lots of scope for further development, working out of a highly automated and well invested, purpose built factory.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the success of the incoming, packing and dispatch process, managing a production team of around 30 staff and all operations that fall within the assigned department whilst ensuring that products are packed to a high quality and food safety standard in line with current food safety regulations.
You will identify areas for improvement within processes, whilst encouraging an excellent team working environment.
Working closely with the business Directors, the Quality Manager and other key Packing Centre personnel, you will have a hands on approach in all aspects of production management, with the aim of meeting scheduled production output.
- managing employees in achieving safety, productivity and quality goals
- production planning and scheduling
- stock control and packaging material ordering; co-ordinating supplies
- ensuring the correct staffing levels are maintained, and assisting with staff recruitment as and when required
- monitoring staff attendance and time keeping
- ensuring quality and quantity records are recorded during production runs
- upholding the hygiene and safety standards of the company
- ensuring Good Manufacturing Practice is maintained (GMP) – the site should be ‘audit ready’ at all times.
- working closely with staff to ensure correct use as HACCP and COSHH systems
- initiating process or departmental improvements
- facilitating meetings with the operations team
- facilitating staff training and appraisals
- enforcing company policy
- this position is hands-on and as our Production & Operations Manager, you will be required to be in the production areas most of the time.
- this is a full time roll, working Monday to Friday with out of hours and weekend staff organisation required.
- proven leadership & communication skill are necessary for success in this position
- good man-management skills and the ability to motivate a team
- excellent attention to detail and a passion for continuous improvement
- preferably educated to diploma/degree level within a food related discipline an advantage
- Six Sigma and or LEAN qualifications would be desirable but not essential
- IOSH, NEBOSH or other formal Health & Safety experience desired
- high literacy and numeracy skills
- good I.T. skill, including a proficiency with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel etc
- a minimum of 5 years previous line Supervision or Management experience in a similar role, preferably a food production background
- the ability to work to set KPI’s and budgets
Full time – 8am – 5pm- (Monday – Friday)
- a competitive salary which will be based on experience & role suitability
- 29 days annual leave
- company pension- auto-enrolment
- life insurance
- sick pay
- company mobile phone
- own office & working space
- free eggs each week!
***We are looking for an immediate starter.***
To apply for this job email your details to HR@birdbroseggs.co.uk.